Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do I cook fresh salmon to use in a recipe instead of canned salmon?

I am making a recipe for a chowder that calls for canned salmon. I really don't care for canned salmon and want to use fresh salmon fillets instead. Since canned salmon is already cooked, I am assuming it will be necessary to pre-cook the fresh salmon as well. What method should I use to cook the salmon to use in the recipe?How do I cook fresh salmon to use in a recipe instead of canned salmon?
I would poach it in a cup of white wine, a cup of water and a tablespoon of chopped dill for about 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of the piece of fish). Let it cool and then flake it with a fork.How do I cook fresh salmon to use in a recipe instead of canned salmon?
this might not answer your question but you have some good answers already. my husband %26amp; I eat salmon often. We put it in the oven about 350 for 40 minutes. We throw some asparagus in with it %26amp; some carrots cut or shredded %26amp; some chopped onions, peppers %26amp; dried apricots or chopped apples or dried pinapples.
I think you should cook it first and I will tell you that some of the oil in the fish could ruin your chowder if you don't.I would just wrap it in some foil and cook it in the oven and then pat to remove oil and liquid.
If you're cutting the salmon into very small pieces, you don't need to precook it - it will cook in the chowder.
You can steam it, or you can bake it in foil.
Chop it up and throw it in the microwave for a few second, It will cook in the chowder?
it will cook in the chowder, but you could also broil it for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment