Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do you have a really good recipe for cooking salmon?

I usually do the same mix of ingredients: margarine, cajun seasoning (Tony Cacherie's), fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice, dried parsley flakes, garlic power and a few drops of green Tabasco. I melt all that in the microwave and pour the mixture on top of the fish. It gives the fish a tangy, spicy and seasoned flavor. It's probably not the healthiest recipe though, so I am looking for different ideas.Do you have a really good recipe for cooking salmon?
I cook my salmon two different ways. With one, I put a layer of mayonnaise seasoned with black pepper, dill and onion powder over the top of the salmon, wrap it in foil and bake it until just done. The salmon is very moist that way. I've had it in a restaurant fixed that way but I believe they mixed mayonnaise and either sour cream or cream cheese. By the texture, I want to say cream cheese.





And, when we went to Juneau, Alaska, a restaurant that cooked their salmon over alder use a 3-2-1 method. 3 parts brown sugar, 2 parts lemon juice and 1 part butter. Melt the butter, mix everything together and coat the fish. I again seal it in foil and bake it.





Some ladies in my group like the 3-2-1 method and others like the mayonnaise version. The restaurant that uses the mayonnaise method is Anthony's Home Port in Olympia, WADo you have a really good recipe for cooking salmon?
I cook salmon almost twice a month, and aren't tired of this recipe. Soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, grated ginger, and a small amount of brown sugar (1 or 2 tsp). If you wish you can add a dash of sesame oil. Man, I shouldn't give away this recipe, oh well what the heck. Have it with brown rice, and your choice of saute veggie. Made me hungry and mouth watering right now.
Simple is best. Place on hot platter, 3' for both sides. Add lemon juice and serve with any salad you like.
mustard and tarragon. but what do i know/
I like to poach salmon in the oven. I take heavy duty aluminum foil and lay the salmon on top, bringing the sides of the foil up straight. I put this in a casserole dish and then throw roughly chopped carrots, celery and onion over it. Just before sealing the foil into a loose packet around the fish, I throw a cup or so of white wine over it all, seal the foil and then bake at 350 (F) until done (anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and cut of the fish). It is always incredibly delicious and, I think, quite healthy. Julia Child referred to carrots, celery and onion as the Holy Trinity in cooking and I must say I agree - that combination always flavors food in just the perfect way.
All Recipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment